Friday, September 30, 2011

M&M Patterns

As a part of our study of repeating and additive patterns, we had a little fun with M&Ms. The students first used paper M&Ms that I made. They made several color repeating patterns and used craft sticks to divide the repeating sections. We then said the letter labels for each pattern and discussed how they were the same or different. On the next day, the students used the paper M&Ms to create positional patterns. The students were a little stumped at first when I gave each group a set of single-colored M&Ms but they soon figured out that if they turned the M's different ways they could create positional patterns. And, of course, it is even more fun and tasty to create patterns with real M&Ms!










3 comments:

  1. Hayley,
    I love love love the patterning with m&m's. I am going to have to make a set of those colorful m&m's for my class. I'll bet your class was very motivated to create patterns. I loved that you gave them a single colored m&m to see what they could come up with. Very smart!
    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Claire
    www.firstgradesmarties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous idea!!! I have my cricut machine hard at work making all the little ms I'm going to need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just finished up our pattern unit 2 weeks ago. I wish I would have thought of using M & M's. How motivating!!!! I will be using this next year for sure!

    http://wildaboutk.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...