Thursday, June 16, 2011

Classroom Library Organization and Seating

When I first started teaching I knew I wanted the students to have a comfortable place to relax and read. The problem, as with most new teachers, is there is so much I wanted and needed to buy for my class that I could not afford to buy anything fancy. But, I came up with a solution that has worked just as well. In the former school I worked in, two of the teachers had taken an old gymnastics mat, folded it up, and covered it in a sheet to create a "couch" of sorts. With that idea in mind, I bought a cheap infant crib mattress and covered it in a primary colored polka-dot sheet with the matching pillows from Target. For the back of the "couch" I used a long body pillow also from Target. As an added bonus, the "couch" is super easy to clean - throw the sheets and pillows in the washer and the crib mattress is bleachable. The colors of the "couch" match perfectly to my favorite library boxes that I purchased from Steps to Literacy. I love the boxes because I can sort the library books by theme and into fiction and non-fiction categories. It helps teach the students responsibility and organization skills as they are responsible for ensuring the books go back to the right box. Because the boxes are labeled, they also add to the print-rich environment I mentioned in my post about shoeboxes and labeling everything.


7 comments:

  1. What a great library! I, too, sorted out my books this past year but I like your book boxes better than mine. I may have to order some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I think that your library is soooo neat and organized. Would you mind telling me how you organized them? Do certain colors mean certain books are in there? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The red and yellow boxes are fiction books - divided into categories like Classics, Children, Animals, Seasons, etc. The blue boxes are for our favorite authors. The green are non-fiction books divided into categories like Social Studies, Seasons, Habitats, How-To, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just discovered your blog and have spent the last few hours looking at your older posts.Wow! You are amazing! I want to be a student in your class! You do so many amazing activities that combine great lessons with memorable experiences! Thank you so much for sharing your ideas, your talent, and your heart with us through this blog!
    Cathy
    beagle2love@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Cathy! That may be the sweetest comment I've ever received on this blog! I'm glad you are enjoying it and finding it useful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where did you find those containers to hold your books? Baskets always seem to get messy looking, these look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops! I re-read the post more carefully...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...