Monday, November 21, 2011

My Top Ten Christmas Ideas!!!


Since a large number of my "followers" are fellow teachers and because I know teachers like to get ahead, I thought I would post a few of my favorite Christmas ideas that we have done in my class in one place. You can also use the search feature on the side to find additional ideas. Click on the links below to see pictures and detailed descriptions of the lessons.

  1. Christmas Tree Doubles - Dot paint ornaments on paper Christmas trees to practice addition.
  2. Stockings Descriptive Writing - Send home paper stockings for students to decorate however they wish. Students will write about their stockings in class and then hang them on the class fireplace.
  3. Better to Give Than to Receive - Read Auntie Claus by Elise Primavera to learn about character traits.
  4. Affirmation Tree - Display a large tree inside or outside of the classroom with blank ornaments. The students write affirmations to one another and add to the tree.
  5. Santa Study - Research, compare, and contrast the role of Santa Claus around the world including his name, appearance, transportation, etc.
  6. Polar Express Day - Wear pajamas, read the story, drink hot chocolate...enjoy!
  7. Classroom Christmas Tree with Book Covers - Print out pictures of your students' favorite books and laminate. Hot glue an ornament hook on and the students can add them to the tree.
  8. Christmas Story Maps - Read Too Many Tamales by Gary Soto and Merry Christmas Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola to discuss the different elements of a story. Create story maps for both stories and then create a Double Bubble Map or Venn Diagram to compare the stories.
  9. The Snowman - Read The Snowman by Raymond Briggs or watch the movie (great for the day before Christmas break). Have the students create their own snowman out of construction paper. These are great to leave hanging in the hallway as a transition to January.
  10. Fact Family Wreaths - Have the students create wreaths from paper pattern blocks. You can download the wreath pattern from PreKinders. You can download the recording sheet that I made to go along with the wreath pattern at my TPT store for FREE. You can download the printable pattern blocks here.

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I can't wait to check them all out!

    I have passed on the Sunshine Award to you.
    Have a great day!

    ❁Beth Ann❁
    Taming My Flock of Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me Too! I've given you the Sunshine Award, 'cause you make me smile!

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!! I'm your newest follower!
    theteacherscauldron.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...